Is your website’s SEO suffering due to declining backlink value?
Google’s algorithm is designed to devalue inactive or neglected backlinks progressively. This phenomenon, called Backlink Atrophy, can hinder your site’s performance if not addressed.
Maintaining a robust link profile is essential for ongoing SEO success.
Discover how to counter Backlink Atrophy and elevate your link profile with this comprehensive guide.
To effectively prevent backlink atrophy, consider the following strategies:
- Purchase social shares for your tier one backlinks from a reliable provider like Signal Boy.
- Acquire tier two backlinks from Searcharoo to strengthen the link juice flowing to your tier one backlinks.
- Drive traffic through your tier one backlinks using a CTR tool such as Viper Tools.
While it’s difficult to address link rot on external websites, the strategies above can help keep your backlinks fresh and prevent backlink deterioration.
Let’s delve into the types of backlinks and how to maintain their value:
Citations: The Building Blocks of Authority
Citations are typically nofollow naked URL backlinks that don’t directly pass link juice to your site. However, they’re useful for increasing your referring domain count, diversifying anchor text, and enhancing local SEO through consistent NAP listings.
Citations can be challenging to index due to their low-value nature and minimal unique content. To maximize their impact, follow these steps:
- Use Viper Tools to send traffic to all built citations for an initial boost.
- Employ an indexing tool like Omega Indexer to ensure Google crawls and indexes your citations.
- Avoid building tier two backlinks and sending social shares to citations, as traffic and indexers should suffice.
Guest Posts: Cultivating Relationships and Exposure
Guest posts are new articles published on external domains that link to your site. They offer opportunities for aggressive reverse sink-or-swim techniques to ensure high relevance. Optimizing guest posts using tools like Surfer SEO and MarketMuse can improve their search engine rankings and drive organic traffic.
Guest posts typically provide do-follow backlinks with keyword-rich anchor text, passing significant link juice to your site. To optimize their value, follow these guidelines:
- Use Viper Tools to drive traffic to all built guest posts for an initial boost.
- Build tier two backlinks to your guest posts, as they are among the most valuable backlinks to strengthen.
- Send social shares to guest posts to increase traffic and engagement.
Niche edits involve inserting hyperlinks into existing articles on external domains and linking to your site. While achieving perfect relevance can be challenging, aim for at least industry relevance.
Like guest posts, niche edits typically provide do-follow backlinks with keyword-rich anchor text, passing substantial authority to your site. To maximize their impact, consider these recommendations:
- Use Viper Tools to send traffic to all built niche edits for an initial boost.
- Build some tier-two backlinks to your niche edits, but focus on those already possessing initial power.
- Send social shares to niche edits to enhance traffic and engagement.
Unravelling the Mystery of Link Rot
Link rot encompasses two main elements: disappearing content and link power reduction.
Disappearing or ephemeral content is removed or archived after a set period, causing the link to be lost and negatively affecting your SEO. To counter this, strive to acquire permanent backlinks. The URL redirects (301) when content vanishes or generates a 404 error.
Link Reclamation: Salvage Lost Value
Link reclamation involves recovering lost link power in your profile. To reclaim links, check for 404 response codes on your site and redirect (301) to the most relevant page. If a page with a paid backlink is deleted, contact the blog owner to reinstate the page and restore the link.
The Erosion of Link Power: Causes and Solutions
Link power diminishes as backlinks age, primarily due to older pages being buried far from the homepage in a domain’s archive. To mitigate link power erosion, build more quality backlinks or strengthen existing ones.
Google implements backlink atrophy to maintain the freshness and relevance of content and backlinks. Reasons for backlink atrophy include:
- A once-valuable link becoming part of a link farm.
- Google detecting manipulated PBN links.
- Low traffic or engagement on the linked page.
- Outdated or irrelevant content.
Google patents don’t specify exact times for backlink atrophy. Some links never pass power or link juice due to insufficient relevance, trust, or engagement. In the SEO community, it’s believed that backlink atrophy begins six months after a page stops receiving fresh links, content, traffic, or social signals.
Identifying the Victims of Link Rot
Link rot affects every website, as the internet constantly updates and refreshes. All domains experience backlink profile decay, with old links being removed or losing value in current SERPs. Websites affected by link rot include:
- Lead Generation Websites
- Rank and Rent Domains
- Affiliate Websites
- eCommerce Websites
Frequently Asked Questions
Use the Wayback Machine to view archived linking pages and locate lost backlinks within existing blogs, provided the page was saved on archive.org.
Top tools for identifying spam backlinks include Ahrefs, Link Research Tools, Majestic SEO, and SEMrush. Look for the following when using these tools to detect spam backlinks:
- Unusual anchor text wording
- Suspicious-looking websites
- Non-relevant links to your niche
- Low-quality content on the page
Backlinks may not appear because the pages containing them haven’t been discovered or indexed. If Google Bot hasn’t found or indexed these pages, they could be blocked by robots.txt or be orphan pages inaccessible to Google Bot. Additionally, the webpages containing your backlinks might use a search engine unfriendly redirect that crawlers cannot follow.
The Art of Disavowing Links: When and How?
Regularly disavowing spammy links is crucial when conducting a link audit. After identifying spam links potentially harming your rankings, submit them to your disavow file in Google Search Console. A successful disavow request prompts Google to ignore those links when determining rankings in search results.
In Conclusion: Rejuvenate Your Link Profile
In September 2023, SEO prioritizes quality over quantity, with an equal focus on powering up existing link profiles using tier-two backlinks and acquiring new ones. To maintain a strong backlink profile, consistently:
- Acquire a in-depth link audit to prepare your battle-plan
- Build new links for link velocity growth.
- Strengthen old backlinks with tier 2 backlinks.
- Send CTR Manipulation traffic through your backlinks.
- Send social shares to all old backlinks in your profile.
- Rinse and repeat these steps to help your affiliate sites or rank and rent websites maintain high rankings.
Achieving top rankings is just the beginning. As quoted by James Dooley:
“In SEO, you either move forward or fall behind. There is no standing still.” Continuously maintain your rankings, as there’s no room for complacency in SEO.